Defined Taco Salad
No Vacation Time Left Taco Salad
Makes 4 servings
I love vacations. I love tacos. I simply tolerate most salads and eat them mostly because I know I should. Let’s face it, very few of us stare at our salads with the same breathless anticipation as we would for say a perfectly char broiled steak. This salad however is a game changer. The best part of this recipe is that you can make a very large amount of it and freeze it in measured portions. It reheats in a snap and tastes just as good as fresh made. Fastest. Meal. Ever. I make my own taco spice in bulk so it’s always on hand. It’s a salt free, sugar free and kidney poisoning chemical free version.
My dressing is simple as most of the best things in life are. It’s low fat ranch dressing mixed with salsa. You can use your favourite healthy brands and mix the ratio to whatever suits your personal taste. I top the salad with the sweet potato chips from Way Better Chips company. If you haven’t discovered those yet do yourself the favour! There’s a bunch of kinds and they are all delicious and a very healthy answer to that infernal potato chip craving. This taco salad is a breeze to put together and the flavour options are endless if you’re at all creative. I love variety in most things except my men. I love the one I have and I’m keeping him ☺
1 lb Extra lean ground beef/turkey or chicken
1/3 cup water (more if needed)
Terri’s Taco seasoning
6 tbsp. low fat ranch dressing
8 tbsp. salsa
8 cups Romaine lettuce, torn
1/8 cup pickled or fresh Jalapenos (optional)
1 oz cup sliced Red onion (optional)
1/2 cup crunched sweet potato chips (Way Better Chips)
Terri’s Taco Seasoning
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/4 tsp. granulated onion or onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1. Pan-fry the ground meat on medium heat until cooked through. Rinse off excess fat if desired in a colander under hot water.
2. Return meat to the pan and turn down to simmer. Mix taco mix with water and add to pan. Simmer 6-8 minutes until flavours have blended well and water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
3. Mix together ranch dressing and salsa.
4. Arrange romaine lettuce on plate and layer with ¼ meat dish. Drizzle with ¼ of dressing mixture. Top with jalapenos, onion and chips.
5. Feel free to add rinsed black beans, corn and avocado
Macros: (with lean ground beef)
Calories - 324
Protein – 26.1g
Carbs – 24.1g
Fats – 14g
For more free recipes, fitness tips and product reviews visit my website at www.terri.windover.com