Pizza Dip with Garlic Bread Knots
Life can't be all about salads and chicken now can it? Pizza has to fit in somewhere. This pizza dip with garlic bread knots is just the thing to share with friends or family while watching a good movie or just because. I mean really, do we really need an excuse to eat pizza?
1 cup (250 mL) milk or almond milk
6 oz (175 g) light cream cheese at room temperature
½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1½ cups (375 mL) grated light mozzarella, divided
½ tsp (2 mL) oregano or pizza spice
1 cup (250 mL) favourite jarred, canned or homemade tomato sauce
A variety of your favourite pizza toppings, such as mini pepper rings, pepperoni, red onion… you choose!
1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk together milk, cream cheese, Parmesan, ½ cup (125 mL) of grated mozzarella and oregano until melted and smooth. Pour evenly into a 9-inch (23-cm) ovenproof pie plate. Gently pour tomato sauce over cheese dip layer and sprinkle evenly with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Scatter desired toppings over cheese.
3. Place on a baking sheet in preheated oven until bubbly and browned, about 10 minutes. If not quite browned enough, then broil for 1 to 2 minutes.
4 Serve with Warm Garlic Bread Knots.
GARLIC BREAD KNOTS:
You can use a homemade pizza dough. I do as my Kitchen Aid Mixer makes it a snap to whip up.
Flour for work surface
1 ball (1 lb) pizza/bread dough
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
½ tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
½ tsp (2 mL) chili flakes
1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Lightly flour work surface and roll the dough into a large rectangle, about ¼ inch (5 mm) thick. Slice dough into 16 equal strips.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently tie each dough strip into a simple knot, placing each on baking sheet as you go, spacing them a couple of inches apart. Brush with olive oil. I use a flavoured oil like garlic from Evoolution .
4. Combine salt, garlic powder, chili flakes and Parmesan. Sprinkle over knots.
5. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until lightly browned (watch carefully so they do not burn). Serve warm with Pizza Dip.