Terri’s Spicy Pickled Dill Beans
INGREDIENTS: -2 pounds green beans, washed and trimmed (I also use yellow if that’s all I have) -5 chili peppers, halved length-wise (I like jalapeños) -5 sprigs fresh dill -5 cloves garlic -3 tsp dill seed -3 tsp whole coriander
-1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (optIona) -3 cups white vinegar -3 cups water -1/4 cup pickling salt
1. Place your pint jars in a canning pot and fill it with water. Bring to a boil to sterilize jars while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
2. Wash and trim your beans so that they fit in your jar. I save the leftover ends to steam for dinner.
3. Combine the vinegar, water and salt in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil.
4. Pack your beans and peppers into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace from the rim of the jar. To each jar, add 1 sprig of fresh dill, 1 chili pepper, 1/2 tsp dill seed, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1 clove of garlic and pepper flakes if using.
5. Pour the boiling brine over the beans, making sure to leave that 1/2 inch headspace. we don’t want exploding jars now do we? Wipe the rims and apply lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in the boiling water.
6. Let the beans sit for a least two weeks before eating to ensure they fuly develop their flavour. I usually wait a solid month.
Note: As with most pickles these are best when served cold.